Friday, February 09, 2007

Viewing photos from your digital camera

I distinctly recall the time when I first thought about it. It was back in 2003 during a get together I was having with a few friends at Cafe Mozart in New York. There was this one instance when almost all of us in the table - a good 8 people at least - huddled together around this one person to view her photos and hear her stories from her most recent travels. Imagine that many people looking (or should I say squinting) at a screen no larger than 2 inches tall and 2.5 inches wide - and this was a time when the average digital camera screens was much smaller than what we have now. Then I said, "Why don't we just project it on the wall or in the air like a hologram?" That actually got me thinking.

In offline or face2face situations, people should be able to show off photos directly from their digital camera -- and n
owadays, this even applies to all types of multimedia content from their camera phone or any handheld device -- without having to strain their audience's eyes. Then came the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas just a couple of weeks ago, where a company called Microvision Inc showcased a technology involving the miniaturization of projectors. According to the company's CEO, their objective is "to provide mobile users with a large screen anywhere." This is definitely something to look forward to.

The next interesting bit to watch, I believe, would be how the manufacturers of digital cameras will react to these new technologies. Will they partner with these technology originators or will they attempt to build their own into their cameras? We'll soon see.

No comments: